Saturday, May 31, 2008

One Grandfather's Funeral


I have a time that I am remembering and I need to post about. One of my grandparents died many years ago. He/she was not the nicest person in the world. In fact, he/she was a gambling drunk that lived in a filthy nicotine encrusted apartment.

I don't think many people thought very well of him/her. However, it was still pretty surprising when their child made their speech at the funeral. See the "eulogy" was about what a crappy person they were. Now, I do know this was mostly true, but really at the funeral????

I was thinking "note to self, if I die before this parent, be sure they are not at MY funeral". Or at least not allowed to speak there. Am I wrong, or is that not a very good representation of Narcissistic?

Good lord. How many other ways could this have been handled? Well, there is the lying, which I personally wouldn't want at my funeral either. You know, if they don't like me, I don't want them talking one way or the other. So, I guess my move would be "wow, I am just too bereaved to say ANYTHING". What is the saying, "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all".

No comments: